Some Sprinkler Issues Continued

Going through my pics of last season, I was reminded of a couple things I wanted to post about. Below are the pics from one sprinkler repair project, and it was a project! The client complained of poor water pressure on one (1) of the zones in the back, but not all. At this point, it is relatively simple to assume from that little bit of gleaned information that the line, and only that line, was pinched somewhere along the way. What is strange, though, is there were two other zones in the back that were operating just fine… Try to think like a home builder, or landscaper. What is the easiest way to get irrigation from the front, where the backflow device is, to the rear. Obviously, they are going to dig one trench and stick all lines in it. This is where I was confused why only one line was pinched. Additionally, the client also showed us an area where a blue spruce had lifted up, and ruined, the concrete perimeter. A funny trick learned a few years back… When you’re looking for a pinched line, put your ear to near by trees while the zone is running. You can hear the reverberations of the water all the way up the trunk of the tree! So, we found it.

Sadly, there are only two fixes at this point. Locate the line before it gets near the tree and reroute it, which includes quite a bit of trenching. (This isn’t so uncommon, as we had to do it a couple years back for another client.) Or, locate the pinch under the tree, and fix it at that point, which is what the client asked us to do. Either task is hard, as our task was to dig around roots and find the line. Below you will see photos and how we had to ridiculously reroute the line. In the end, it worked perfectly well, and the zone is operating wonderfully! Additionally, where the grass had started to thin out, due to the issue, it filled back in thick as can be! We also cut the roots out around the concrete perimeter. Contrary to popular belief, this isn’t too hard on the tree. We took our about three to five roots that were anywhere from 2-6 inches in diameter. Of course, many were smaller as well.

Yes, it would have been most efficient to keep the line straight and under the roots, but there was just no room there, at all! So we had to do a flyover. Of course, we brought in the cdot engineers for approval and final inspection.

See pics below…

IMG_1411

IMG_1545

IMG_1547

Comments are closed.